Almost certainly the most perfect rock and roll album ever made. And somehow it’s only #62 on the RS500 (and 27th best of the 80’s). I kind of want to say let’s make the whole damned thing a mix CD and be done with it. You just can’t improve on this.
Two things stand out to me that I missed in middle school, or at least these are things that I didn’t fully appreciate then. First, Slash is a fucking monster. This is easily the greatest rock and roll guitar record ever made. I think I used to listen to music in a much more holistic fashion, just kind of taking it all in as one, but now I realize just how fucking amazing his work here is and how basically almost everything that’s my favorite part of the album, which is kind of the whole thing, is basically him just completely fucking killing it. Second, these lyrics are really filled with an attitude of celebrating debauchery and degrading and objectifying women. Which was of course a big part of its overall appeal, at least the debauchery celebration but of course I’d be naive to think the misogyny didn’t appeal to many. Anyway, that’s the only knock on it and the only part of it that doesn’t hold up 27 years later. It’s telling how good the music is that I don’t knock it down a notch for that, because that’s kind of a big one. And, of course, when we revisit Guns N’ Roses on their next release, we’ll really get into some sickening lyrics.
Mix: “Nightrain,” “Mr. Brownstone,” “Paradise City,” “Think About You,” “Sweet Child O’ Mine”
– “Welcome To The Jungle,” “It’s So Easy,” “Out Ta Get Me,” “My Michelle,” “You’re Crazy,” “Anything Goes,” “Rocket Queen”
Filed Between: The Gumdrops (Tight Pants) and Guns N’ Roses’ Lies
Song Notes: After the jump
- Welcome To The Jungle –
- It’s So Easy – and our first entry into cringe-worthy lyrics: “Turn around bitch, I got a use for you.”
- Nightrain – Never realized that’s how it was spelled.
- Out Ta Get Me –
- Mr. Brownstone –
- Paradise City –
- My Michelle – oh, so the song really is true. it says it is and it is. huynh.
- Think About You – maybe my fave on the album
- Sweet Child O’ Mine –
- You’re Crazy –
- Anything Goes – what a beautiful testament to perversion
- Rocket Queen – One of the best. Probably would have been mix if not for the silly sexual moaning.