I can’t really do a full-on review of this because there are a whole bunch of songs that aren’t available on Xbox Music. I assume that’s due to publishing rights being goofy throughout this album, which is a bit of a compilation and a way to re-release one of their very early albums, Los Lobos Del Este De Los Angeles, whose title is obviously the inspiration of this collection’s.
It makes a ton of sense to do something like this for Los Lobos, whose style changed so much in the years covered by this collection. I think a lot of people who will like the rock stuff in the later part of that period will be turned off by all the bandoneon for the first several songs, but, you know, who cares, I guess?
- Volver, Volver – N/A
- El Cuchipe – From Los Lobos Del Este de Los Angeles. Pretty sweet. A real nice feel to it. Upbeat.
- La Feria De La Flores – Slower, more like a ballad.
- Sabor A Mi – N/A
- Let’s Say Goodnight (Live) – Originally full-hearted on …And A Time To Dance, this one is fine but doesn’t sound as good. Loves the energy. The solos. Sweet.
- Anselma – From …And A Time To Dance.
- Will The Wolf Survive? – From How Will The Wolf Survive?
- A Matter Of Time – From How Will the Wolf Survive?
- I Got To Let You Know (Live) – Originally full-hearted on By The Light Of The Moon. Pretty manic here.
- Don’t Worry Baby – N/A.
- One Time One Night – From By The Light Of The Moon.
- Shakin’ Shakin’ Shakes – From By The Light Of The Moon.
- River Of Fools (Live) – Full-hearted on By The Light Of The Moon.
- Carabina.30-30 – N/A
- Tears Of God – From By The Light Of The Moon.
- Set Me Free (Rosa Lee) – From By The Light Of The Moon.
- Come On, Let’s Go – N/A
- La Bamba – From La Bamba Soundtrack.
- El Gusto – N/A
- Estoy Sentado Aqui – From La Pistola Y El Corazón.
- La Pistola Y El Corazón – From La Pistola Y El Corazón.
- I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song) – I like this way better than the Disney version. Which isn’t hard. But this is awesome.
- Someday – Wikipedia says it’s an outtake from The Neighborhood sessions. Good but a titch boring.
- Down On The Riverbed – From The Neighborhood.
- Be Still – From The Neighborhood.
- The Neighborhood – From The Neighborhood.
- I Can’t Understand – From The Neighborhood.
- Angel Dance – From The Neighborhood.
- Bertha (Live) – Jerry Garcia credited as a songwriter. Thin sound. Definitely a good song, though. Would probs prefer a studio version, but this is what I’ve got, so full.
- Saint Behind The Glass – From Kiko.
- Angels With Dirty Faces – From Kiko.
- Wicked Rain (Live) – Kiko version is open. This is worse, but the chaotic jam and dirty solo are pretty cool. Love the energy, dislike the sound.
- Kiko And The Lavender Moon – From Kiko.
- When The Circus Comes – From Kiko.
- Peace (Live) – Kiko version is full.
- Bella Maria De Mi Alma – like a julio iglesias kind of thing
- What’s Going On (Live) – Yes, the Marvin Gaye song. A good rendition, I like it. But live sound makes it open. And, I mean, it’s so faithful to the original that, while it’s nice to hear David Hidalgo singing this song, I don’t really need it.
- Wrong Man Theme – 1:44 and instrumental. I think it’s the theme to the Alfred Hitchcock movie. It’s pretty cool to hear them do it, but not exciting enough to get a full heart.
- Blue Moonlight – Seems kinda lame. Pretty boring soft jazz kinda stuff. Not really my thing. And this is just too straight.
- Politician (Live) – May be a Cream song since Jack Bruce listed as writer. Sounds like Cream. Dirty blues. It is Cream. Like “Bertha,” would probably prefer studio version due to sound, but this is all I’ve got so full heart.
- New Zandu – Vocal effect makes it sound like from Kiko sessions. It’s pretty sweet. Really cool use of dissonance. Start could be a ZZ Top song, but then it gets wacky. Would have loved for this to be on Kiko.
– “El Cuchipe,” “La Feria De Flores,” “A Matter Of Time,” “One Time One Night,” “Tears Of God,” “Set Me Free (Rosa Lee),” “La Bamba,” “La Pistola Y El Corazón,” “I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song),” “Be Still,” “I Can’t Understand,” “Angel Dance,” “Bertha (Live),” “Saint Behind The Glass,” “Angels With Dirty Faces,” “When The Circus Comes,” “Bella Maria De Mi Alma,” “Politician (Live),” “New Zandu”
– “Let’s Say Goodnight (Live),” “Anselma,” “Will The Wolf Survive?,” “I Got To Let You Know (Live),” “Shakin’ Shakin’ Shakes,” “River Of Fools (Live),” “Estoy Sentado Aqui,” “Someday,” “Down On The Riverbed”, “Wicked Rain (Live),” “Peace (Live),” “What’s Going On (Live),” “Wrong Man Theme”
– “The Neighborhood,” “Kiko And The Lavender Moon,” “Blue Moonlight”