Ugh, this is the suck. It’s kind of a mix of cartoonish electronica and lounge, and some of the sounds are really cool, but good gawd there is no ability to write a song here. And I don’t mean that like it’s free and soundscape-y…it’s like there should be a song but it’s just nothingness. If they cut this s**t down to like 30 or 40 second songs, a la Fantômas or something, I think there’s some potential here. As it is you have to wade through three minutes of bad background music to get to the kernel of an idea that works only on its own.
And it’s too bad because I want to love it. When you listen to just snippets here or there it’s so lighthearted and fun with such a keenly exuberant rhythm you just fall in love…and then 20 seconds later you’re bored out of your skull.
I don’t stand very strongly behind my heart ratings here. I just dislike this and want to stop listening to it. Suffice it to say that I think if you culled the best ideas in this album you’d have two or three full hearts.
– “Hot Banana”
– “Midnight Party,” “Swingin’ Spaceman,” “Electric Blue Eyelashes,” “Big Business,” “Good Little Demon,” “Up ‘Til Dawn”
– “A Night On The Town,” “Lipstick Tree,” “Sweet Spot,” “Chocolate Moon,” “Chop Socky,” “Kitty’s Daydream,” “Kadonka,” “See The Beauty, Touch The Magic,” “Wet Rainbow”
Song Notes: After the jump
- Midnight Party – the opening sound is so awesome
- A Night On The Town –
- Lipstick Tree –
- Sweet Spot –
- Swingin’ Spaceman –
- Chocolate Moon –
- Chop Socky – They almost put together a good track here. WTF? I HATE THIS.
- Electric Blue Eyelashes – Was I thinking of this track when I wrote the near compliment above?
- Kitty’s Daydream – I have this as at least open? That seems crazy. I must have been off by one a lot of the time running through this. Okay, the only thing I can guess is that I put it as at least open during that four second spy music part, which is awesome, but then it switches up to an Asian thing and then more whatever stuff I can’t remember and I’m not going back to listen. Broken.
- Kadonka – I like the start of this a lot, but god I hate that brass part.
- Big Business – so boring. The one with the sounds of the camera shutter or something like that. I still think it’s boring, but here they bring the chill vibe really well, so it works.
- Good Little Demon – Starts kinda old school big-band-y
- See The Beauty, Touch The Magic – Like a Lovage cast-off. Really a rip-off.
- Wet Rainbow –
- Hot Banana – Kinda gets full b/c I want at least one to get full.
- Up ‘Til Dawn – Growing on me. Moving from at most open to at least open. No, it’s open.