What will stick with me about this album are three major strikes against it. First, and the most egregious, are the ridiculous inhales on “Girl.” Not only are they fingernails-on-a-chalkboard in the way the get the hair on my back to stand up, I don’t get what they’re supposed to mean; I don’t see how they relate to the lyrics. Second, and actually now that I think about it, this might be the most egregious, are the lyrics to “Run For Your Life” where John would “rather see you dead…than with another man,” then proceeds to tell her to run and hide lest she meet “the end.” If Eminem wrote this song today it would be a media circus. (Which is not to defend Eminem’s misogynist lyrics.) And third are the lyrics to “If I Needed Someone,” which kind of sound like a love song at first, but upon closer inspection just come across as an egotistical player saying to a girl that maybe, if she’s lucky, he’ll call her the next time he’s horny.
I don’t see how this is such a revered album. There are a lot of really good songs, giving it its fairly high rating. And it starts especially strong with three of the first four tracks being great (“Norwegian Wood,” despite being about my pecker, being the exception). But one of the top ten or so best albums of all time? No, especially not since it’s immediately surrounded in The Beatles’ catalog by the superior Help! and Revolver.
– “Drive My Car,” “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown),” “You Won’t See Me,” “Nowhere Man,” “The Word,” “Michelle,” “What Goes On,” “I’m Looking Through You,” “In My Life,” “Wait”
– “Think For Yourself,” “Girl,” “If I Needed Someone,” “Run For Your Life”
Filed Between: Help! and Revolver
Song Notes: After the jump
- Drive My Car – One of three best tracks on the disc.
- Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) –
- You Won’t See Me – “When I call you up/Your line’s engaged,” what an awesome line. Very good song. The second in the top three on the disc, and this might be my fave on the entire disc.
- Nowhere Man – Took me a while to get into this, but digging it pretty good now.
- Think For Yourself – Meh. Just meh.
- The Word – “the word is love.” a foreshadowing of john’s cheesy lyrics to come.
- Michelle – Not great, but catchy and I like the French lyrics.
- What Goes On – Ringo sings a Lennon/McCartney song.
- Girl – OMG I hate this. So annoying with those dumb sniffles in the song. Easily the worst Beatles song.
- I’m Looking Through You – The third of the three best tracks on the disc.
- In My Life – Really like this.
- Wait –
- If I Needed Someone – About a booty call, but only in case of necessity. I kind of like the song, but the lyrics are so bad I’m breaking this.
- Run For Your Life – Wow, what horrid lyrics. I read something saying this was the song John regretted writing the most. I can see why.